Monday, October 18, 2010

Dusky Grouse

Left the ranch today. Somedays you just dont want to leave this place
and most days I dont. But the dogs needed food so off I went to get it.
In the road was a spotted bird , so I stopped. It was slow to move off.
Thinking about the bird my first thought was it was a quail, no it was to big.
Well maybe it was Ptarmigan. They say we have Ptarmigan but Ive never seen
one.
When I got back home and to my computer it was time to figure out just what
kind of bird it was. My first search was for Ptarmigan and there it was a picture
that looked just like the bird I saw. So I clicked on it. It said Willow Ptarmigan,
no longer thought to exist in Montana. Ok back to square one. Searched Grouse.
and found the Dusky Grouse and it looked similiar to the bird but the legs looked
different. Guess it was a Grouse.
Well that was my excitment for the day. Im glad I got out and saw a grouse.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori,
    Glad to see you got yer blog started. It looks great!
    You know, I don't think I've ever seen a grouse before....I don't even know if we have any here in Texas. In my area, mourning dove and quail are abundant.
    Love the 5 things you cannot recover in life that you talked about. Makes a whole lotta sense.
    Look forward to reading more about yer part of the world. ~Jen

    ReplyDelete